About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Sunday, September 19, 2010

“Boardwalk Empire” – Is Atlantic City Cool Again?



Created and Written by Terence Winter
Directed by Martin Scorsese (Pilot)
Produced by Martin Scorsese, Mark Wahlberg

Picture it. Atlantic City. 1920. The Eve of Prohibition. Men and Women crowd the streets, celebrating, stockpiling as much booze as they can get their hands on. Steve Buscemi plays real life City Treasurer Enoch “Nucky” Thompson, a corrupt politician who plans on profiting from this ridiculous law. His lacky, Jimmy Darmody (Michael Pitt, Dawson’s Creek anyone?) is semi Princeton educated, fresh from war and eager to make something of himself. Margaret is portrayed by Kelly MacDonald, who you might remember as Diane from Trainspotting. She is a good woman in dire circumstances that is inspired by the seemingly decent side of Mr. Thompson. We get a peak at the early days of some of history’s most notorious gangsters; Al Capone. Arnold Rothstein. Lucky Luciano. Michael Shannon of Revolutionary Road and The Runaways plays the IRS G-Man trying to take down these criminals.

The costumes and art direction are impeccable. Come on, what man doesn’t look dashing in a well cut suit and fedora? The cinematography is beautiful and rich. I love the promos and the title logo, but not so much a fan of the opening titles. It uses a rock song with images of Steve Buscemi on the beach, the ocean filled with bottles. Maybe if they used different music. It just feels too modern for a period show. Most of the time, mixing modern music with history doesn’t work. Although, the last time it did for me was a film also produced by HBO, Iron Jawed Angels. This show is definitely on my radar, but what show with midget boxing wouldn’t be?

Sundays at 9pm on HBO
http://www.hbo.com/#/boardwalk-empire

Stay Tuned.........


No comments: