About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Is “The Event” Worth Attending?



Jason Ritter stars as Sean Walker, a man uncovering a government conspiracy as he searches for his missing girlfriend. We spend time with several characters, yes…this will be a huge cast. One of which is Blair Underwood’s President Elias Martinez. I voted for Obama, but I think we’re a long way from a black, Cuban born President, am I right? Good for them though for putting it out there. We also meet a prisoner played by Laura Innes who is kept in a secret Alaskan facility. I thought she was more into directing these days, but looks like we get to see her play this creepy, withholding character. The episode ends with the plane being piloted by Walker’s father-in-law to be, about to crash into the seaside party being attended by the President and the prisoner. Oh yeah, and Walker was on the plane waving a gun around trying to stop him. Did he really think that would work? Just as it’s about to hit, a ball of light envelops the craft and it vanishes. Innes’ Sophie Maguire tells the President, “I haven’t told you everything”. Eeeeerrrryyyyyyyy. As the promos say, this is NOT The Event.

It could be setting itself up for failure, right? What happens once the event occurs? Who knows, since the timeline keeps jumping around. It’s not confusing, more like extremely irritating. I do like the very simple, yet dramatic opening title, which also appears at the close of the show. Jason Ritter is as yummy and talented as ever. I’ve been a fan of his for a while and I really hope this takes off for him. Blair Underwood is growing on me. I’ve been watching season one of “In Treatment” in which he has a reoccurring role and I have to admit, he’s pretty good. Playing the leader of the free world probably is right up his alley. There is definitely something authoritative in all of his performances. I can’t wait to see what Zeljko Ivanek has to bring to the table. I don’t think I’ve seen him since the first season of “Damages” but his work is never less than stirring. My concern is that the show is being so pumped up to be dramatic, cinematic and well….eventful that it won’t be able to help falling short. I do hope that I am proven wrong. Suspense and conspiracy can make for great content when mixed correctly.  

Mondays at 9pm on NBC
http://www.nbc.com/the-event/

Stay Tuned....

No comments: