About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

R.I.P. "Lone Star"....What Else Has FOX Taken Far Too Soon?




Well, it’s happened already. FOX was the first network to kill a new show, pulling the plug on “Lone Star” after only two episodes aired. Not that surprising since FOX is notorious for killing shows early on when they don’t perform outstandingly in the ratings. The pilot grabbed 4.1 million viewers, but only 3.23 million returned. I couldn’t tell by only two episodes how this show would be over time, but I enjoyed what I saw. It had potential. Although the father was a bit irritating, I really liked the lead character and actor James Wolk. He’s got a great look and quite a bit of charm. I’m sure he’ll find another gig, but it would have been nice to see him shine in this vehicle.

It got me thinking. What other shows has FOX tantalized us with and then pulled out from under us? Here are my top 3. Please feel free to add your own favorites.


“Firefly” (2002)


Until “Firefly”, I hadn’t watched anything remotely resembling science fiction. Not that this show is purely sci-fi, in case you’re not one of the enlightened. In a nutshell, it’s a comedy, western, sci-fi, action show. Or in other words, absolute genius from Joss Whedon. Nathan Fillion is finally hitting it big on network television with ABC’s “Castle”, but he gained cult following as Captain Malcolm Reynolds. Or as we Brown Coats like to call him, Captain Tight-Pants. Mal leads a team of renegades, skirting the law…and evil men trying to capture a savant that they’ve performed experiments on, who happens to be hitching a ride with the crew. This band of misfits flies around the verse (that’s Firefly speak) hauling mostly illegal cargo and unintentionally doing good deeds. “Firefly” was cancelled after only 11 episodes aired. Three episodes were never shown on television, but can be seen on DVD/Blu-Ray or on Netflix Watch Instantly. 


“Drive” (2007)


“Drive” was a show about a cross-country road race, illegal of course. It had a large cast, a couple cool cars and a great sense of urgency. It also starred Nathan Fillion….keep up people. I just told you all about Captain Tight-Pants. This time they are jeans, but just as tight. MMMmmmmm. Sorry…back to this. FOX was extra speedy in canceling this gem after only 2 nights of double episodes. Give a show a shot people! This is where I first saw Emma Stone (the hot red head from Superbad) who is sure to have a long comedic career of her. You can download all 6 episodes on Amazon Video on Demand for $0.99 each. It’s worth the six bucks. Trust me. 


“Undeclared” (2001)


Judd Apatow anyone? Between NBC’s untimely cancellation of “Freaks and Geeks” and the commercial success of 40 Year Old Virgin, Apatow created this show….a comedic masterpiece about trying to figure out your sh** in college. Maybe you’ve heard of Seth Rogan. Yup, Seth went from playing f-up Ken Miller on FNG to studious looking Ron Garner. Oh and my future husband Charlie Hunnam plays British (he actually is) playboy. He’s terribly pretty. All the hi-jinks and shenanigans of freshman year in college ensue. Fun for all! You can check out all 17 episodes on DVD from Netflix.

No comments: