About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Series I Picked Up Over the Summer

Over the summer, I picked up a number of shows. Some are still running, others have met their end. In any case, you can check out past episodes OnDemand and/or Netflix (and Watch Instantly).


“Robin Hood” (BBC….Cancelled)

When this show first premiered, I watched the pilot and turned it off after 10 minutes. I liked the promos and it seemed like a good spin on an old tale, but I remember the dialog being horrendous. While looking on Netflix Watch Instantly for a new series to get into, I decided to give it another shot. One thing that is true about me is that I have to be in the right mood at the right time to get into a show. It could take a few years, like with this one. Turns out, this show is f-ing FUN! It’s humorous and action packed, plus it’s stacked with very attractive people. Alan A Dale, I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Robin’s gang fights for the little guy against the Sheriff of Nottingham (a role that is intentionally overacted by Keith Allen, which sometimes makes you want to throw a shoe at the TV). Marian uses her influence with Guy of Gisborne (the Sheriff’s right hand man played by Richard Armitage) to help Robin played by Jonah Armstrong.

Yes, it can be corny at times, but for me, it was very addictive. I had marathons for the first two seasons and was in agony waiting for the third on DVD. Now, all three seasons are on Watch Instantly. “We are Robin Hood!”



“Pushing Daisies” (ABC…Cancelled)

I remember seeing the billboards for this show when I first moved to L.A. and thought it sounded like the dumbest show. And I like supernatural, sci-fi, weird stuff. After many people telling me how great this show was for a couple of years, I finally gave it a chance. I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The mix of humor, fantasy, noir and pie is a winning recipe. There is a sweetness about each character that makes you fall in love with them.

Lee Pace and Anna Friel play Ned and Chuck. Ned the pie maker has the capability of touching the dead and bringing them back to life, but when he touches them for a second time, they croak again. As children, Ned was secretly in love with Chuck. So….when lonely tourist Charlotte Charles was killed on a cruise, Ned had to bring her back. Pace and Friel are accompanied by Chi McBride, a P.I. that Ned partners with to solve cases, Kristen Chenoweth, a pie waitress who is hopelessly in love with Ned and Chuck’s shut-in aunts played by Swoosie Kurtz and Ellen Greene. There is an endearing quality to this show that makes it a must see. It was cancelled after only 2 seasons, but you can see them both on Neflix Watch Instantly. 




“Primeval” (BBC…Season 4 coming in 2011)

In this show, scientists study “anomalies” which are like big gateways to other places in time….namely prehistoric. Dinosaurs and other creatures that may or may not have actually existed come through these anomalies terrorizing England. Douglas Henshall plays Nick Cutter, a professor of paleontology studying the anomalies. He is accompanied by his team: teaching assistant/partner in crime Stephen played by James Murray, student and uber cute dorky kid Connor, personified by Andrew Lee Potts and lizard lady Abby, incarnated by Hannah Spearritt. Adventures are had by all as they are chased by ginormous creatures leading them back through the anomalies to make England a Dino-Free Zone. Season 3 a had shake up in the cast. I won’t spoil anything, but Jason Flemying of Snatch and Layer Cake joins our dorky-in-a-sexy-way scientists. Seasons 1-3 are available on Netflix Watch Instantly. They haven’t released an airdate for season 4 on BBC America, but it will premiere in the U.K. in January 2011.



“Chuck” (NBC….Season 4 premieres Sept. 20th!)

I finally picked up this action/comedy after everyone I know told me I needed to be watching it. Soooo glad I did. Chuck is dork (in the very hottest way, played by Zachary Levi) that works for the Buy More Nerd Herb (think Best Buy Geek Squad). When his ex best friend from Standford, who is now a spy sends him a very special email, Chuck downloads a CIA super computer into his brain. The original super computer is destroyed, leaving the hot dork with all the government secrets. The CIA sends super sexy spy  Sarah Walker (Yvonne Strahovski) and the NSA sends dangerous and grumpy John Casey (Adam Baldwin) to protect Chuck/The Intersect.

Hilarity and action ensue as this gangly, sweet guy tries to fit in as one of the spies. The first season is best as Chuck is na├»ve when it comes to the spy game…..and is falling for super sexy spy Sarah. He also has to keep his spy life a secret from best friend Morgan, sister Ellie and her man Captain Awesome. The show definitely evolves the longer Chuck is a spy, as it should. I’m not sure where they are going to go for the upcoming 4th season, but I can’t wait to find out. If you are looking for a show that is light, fun, and action packed, check out “Chuck”. You can get it on DVD or Blu-Ray from Netflix. The new season starts tomorrow! Woo Hoo! 




“Friday Night Lights” (NBC….Season 5 premieres Oct. 27th!)

Anyone that knows me probably knows that I don’t like football which is why I was hesitant to watch this show. After all the critical acclaim, I decided to give it a shot. I was instantly addicted. It’s all about the relationships and what goes on around the football. Yes, the games are a big part, but it’s more about the players and their families. The competition keeps you on the edge of your seat, but so does the drama.

Coach Eric Taylor (brilliantly portrayed by Kyle Chandler) leads the Dillon Panthers, a high school football in Texas aka the Holy Land of football. His wife Tami (Connie Britton) is the school guidance counselor and his teenage daughter is dating the quarterback. I like this show because it’s down to earth. It’s dramatic at times, but mostly sweet, touching and earnest. Characters that you hate at first grow on you (I’m talkin’ about you Tim Riggins!) You quickly become invested in these kids’ futures. Eric and Tami have the marriage that I hope I’ll someday have. Not only is this a great show, but it’s a family show. Even my mom would watch it. You can check out the first three seasons on Netflix Watch Instantly. The forth is only on DVD/Blu-Ray which I am feverishly awaiting…so no spoilers please! The new and final season starts October 27th on NBC and DirecTV.

No comments: