About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Primeval Part I - Have You Been Watching This Super Awesome Show?



"Primeval" is most likely one of the best shows you're NOT watching. So....now's a good time to catch up with the season 4 premiere airing tonight. If you're a fan of "Doctor Who", "Torchwood", or "Being Human" (yes I realize these are all BBC shows) you'll love this nugget. I watched seasons 1-3 on Netflix Watch Instantly (still available) this past summer. It instantly hooked me.

Nick Cutter is an evolutionary zoologist and professor that is called in to assist in the investigation of an "animal" sighting. He is accompanied by his lab assistant Stephen Hart, graduate student Connor Temple and zoo animal handler Abby Maitland. For me, it was the characters and group dymanic that fed my addiction for this show. Cutter is mourning his wife, Helen, that has been missing for several years. Connor *swoon* is a cute, goofy, lovable young man that quickly falls in love with Abby. One problem, she's got her eye on Stephen. Annnnnnnyyyyyyywaaaaayyyyyy....................

Turns out that these "animals" are actually prehistoric and futuristic creatures that pop through these portals in time, called anomolies. Our team of scientistists and semi-professional like people track these long lost creatures, return them through the anomolies and attempt to research how and why they occur. Not too far along, we learn that Helen was trapped inside one of these anomolies for years, but now is using them to travel through time.

Of course, our merry group of scientists must report to someone. In the beginning they were contracted by a part of the government only referred to as Home Office. By season three, the Anomoly Research Center, ARC has a huuuuge facilitiy where they even hold onto creatures. It's run by a dick named Lester. I don't know why, but it's fitting. Characters come and go. A little too much for my liking actually. The original team was so great. In season three, Cutter was replaced as team leader by Jason Flemyng as Danny Quinn. You may remember him from Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch or League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. He's alright, but he's not Cutter. We're getting more shake-ups in season four. At least my two favorite characters have endured. Connor, played by the adorable Andrew Lee Potts, who I'm dying to make out with and Abby, played by Hannah Spearitt who I'm so jealous of since she is dating Potts in real life.

In the season three finale, Connor and Abby are trapped on the wrong side of an anomoly in the cretaceous period. WTF???!!!!!!!!!!! It was to save the human race, so kinda worth it. Remember crazy Helen, who was jumping through time? She wanted to poison the first humans and keep humanity for ever existing. Coo-koo! Damn good cliff hanger though. We weren't sure there was going to be a fourth season. Now, there's even a season five slated for late 2011 and spin offs.

So class, what have we learned? Watch this show! Go catch up on Netflix Watch Instantly. It's British, so the seasons are short.

No comments: