About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Monday, February 7, 2011

Does "Chicago Code" Stand Up to Its Predecessor?


From the creator of “The Shield” comes Fox’s newest cop drama. Shawn Ryan has some great talent lined up in Jennifer Beals and Delroy Lindo, but does the show hold up? The American audience, hell, the world for that matter is heavily exposed to crime dramas. I’m sure we know more about law enforcement and crime than any time before us. I’ve learned more about the law from television than I ever did in high school and college combined. Soooooo….my point. It takes a really great script to impress me.  Otherwise, it’s just cops running around with guns chasing the rapists and murderers.  Ryan, the same man that killed off a cop in the pilot of “The Shield”, penned the first ep of this show. Somehow, I feel like it’s lacking. It’s probably wrong to compare this to that, but I just can’t help it. One thing it’s got is a strong woman. Beals’ Superintendent Theresa Colvin is reminiscent of Glenn Close’s Captain Monica Rawlings. Both are independent, strong willed and have something to prove (in a man’s world on top of it all). Jason Clarke plays Colvin’s former partner and her head detective on a task force meant to bring down city corruption. He’s the heavy handed, crotchety White Sox fan that goes through partners like toilet paper. There’s a bit of naughtiness….of course. But the kind that makes me cringe.  I wasn’t expecting to like this show, but watched because I wanted to like it. Although I wasn’t impressed, I will give it another try. At the very least, Jennifer Beals is stunning and very talent, but the accent is quite annoying.

Stay Tuned….if you feel like it

Mondays at 9pm on FOX

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, too bad we don't agree. I don't think it's unfair to compare this show to The Shield. First, it's on a major network so it will never be a gritty and raw as it's predecessor. Second, The Shield was lightening in a bottle....can't capture it twice. The Chicago Code has an interesting way of telling its story and I love how, in just three episodes, our lead characters quickly learned that EVERYTHING isn't linked to Alderman Gibbons. After all, that would get boring FAST. I think it's too early to tell if it will be a great show but it's definitely a decent show. However, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING can fill the Fox Monday, 9PM time slot like 24 (Seasons 1-4, 7 & 8 of course!).