About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Thursday, February 10, 2011

"Justified" Wins Me Over


Last week I decided to catch up on season one of “Justified”. Last year when it premiered, I gave up after the first three eps. I just wasn’t into it. The absolutely amazing Walton Goggins (aka Detective Shane Vendrell) was my reason for giving it a shot….and because it is an FX show. He was in the pilot, but then disappeared. If I’d stuck with it, I’d have been incredibly impressed with his moving performance in the second half of the season. I mean….WOW! Goggins is one of the most under rated actors on television. I should really consider running for president of the Walton Goggins fan club.

Timothy Olyphant is the center of the series as the cowboy Federal Marshall who pretty much shoots someone every week. He would sooooo not be allowed to carry a gun in real life if he’d shot that many people. But I like his attitude. Ok, so Olyphant’s Raylan Givens is a law man and Goggins’ Boyd Crowder is from a long line of criminals in rural Kentucky. The two dug coal together when they were boys, but now Raylan is back in Harlan County with a badge. The first few episodes are episodical, which I think they realized it wasn’t working. By the second half of the season, a more cohesive storyline involving Boyd being a reformed white supremacist/man of God. The first season finale was Goooooooooooood. I’m not going to ruin it if you haven’t seen it, but it’s the culmination of several plot lines.

Last night was the premier of season two. I have to say that it lacked some resolution. There were some loose ends that were not tied up…..like where the hell is Ava? Looking past that, we were introduced to some new characters and what seems to be a new thread. It was like a “Lost” reunion with Jeremy Davies and Brad Henke playing brothers in a back woods crime family. Margo Martindale is the moonshine makin’ matriarch of this tribe. LOVE HER! I have a feeling that the crimes of the Bennett family will take the place of those committed by the Crowder clan.

The pilot was based on the short story “Fire in the Hole” by Elmore Leonard, who acts as executive producer. Adam Arkin directed the season one finale as well as the season two premier. Well done Mr. Arkin. He’s turned into quite the talented director and has done several great episodes of “Sons of Anarchy”. I’m a fan.

Ok class….let’s summarize. I was wrong. This show is really good. You should watch. Class dismissed.

Wednesdays at 10pm on FX

Stay Tuned…

No comments: