About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Criminal or Crime Fighter?


You may have seen some of the posters around town that look like they're advertising a Discovery Channel show about prison. Turns out they were for the new A&E original drama "Breakout Kings". When the U.S. Marshalls can't catch the bad guys on their own, who do they call? Well the cons of course. Laz Alonso and Domenick Lombardozzi play Charlie DuChamp and Ray Zancanelli, the Marshalls piloting this questionable program. The only other non criminal member of this team is Julianne Sims (Brooke Nevin), a civilian techy. Think Chloe O'Brien, mental problems and all. And your cons are.....Lloyd Lowery, a gambling, genius psycho-behavioral analyst. Shea Daniels who started out as a young gangbanger and rose to successful criminal businessman...until he got caught. Serinda Swan is an expert tracker who's bounty hunter father taught her the biz.

Ok, so they've all got some talent that will bring down the scumbags running all along the Eastern seaboard, or at least the tri-state area. The first job tracking down an escaped con is not all that interesting, but that's to be expected in a pilot. It's really all about introducing the characters. I'll excuse it since they all seem to have pretty complex backstories. If you're a fan of "Prison Break" or "Lie to Me", you may like this one as it's creators Nick Santora and Matt Olmstead were producing partners on both. Unfortunately, it feels like a slight rip off of some other show. "White Collar" has been going strong on USA with a smooth confidence man that was released from prison to assist the FBI. Granted, it's a classy solo act, but still. I used to watch WC, but didn't feel like their writing lived up to the characters and the concept. The cases just weren't there. Maybe this one new show will fill that void. It's a definitely a more down and dirty team version. I like the feel, it's not gritty, but it's not fluffy either. I have a feeling there'll be more than a few surprises. It's got potential.

Check it out on A&E. There are encores playing every day this week and it'll probably be OnDemand.

P.S. A huge pet peev is inaccuracies. I grew up near Hudson, NY and there is no Maybelle prison where the cons are supposedly transferred to. Boo for that.

P.P.S. The more I think about the techy girl, the more she is Chloe O'Brien. Come ON!

No comments: