About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

"Parenthood" Deserves a Belated Shout Out


For some reason, I never blog about NBC's "Parenthood". I don't know why since I love it. There aren't a whole lot of shows on television that both my mother and I watch. This is one of them. It's based on the Ron Howard movie which apparently was intended to be a TV show. Jason Katims got his hands on it and voila! Zeek and Camille Braverman raised four children in Northern California. Now, their grown children are parents themselves.

Adam Braverman (Peter Krause) is married to Christina (Monica Potter). They have a goody-two-shoes daughter Haddie, who's been kickin' up some trouble with her black, recovering alcoholic, older boyfriend and a younger son with Asperger's Syndrome.

Sarah Braverman (former Gilmore Girl Lauren Graham) has two teenagers. Amber is an artistic rebel played by child actor turned talented young woman Mae Whitman. Her younger brother Drew (Miles Heizer) is sensitive and quiet. He desperately wants a relationship with his estranged, addict father now played by John Corbett.

Julia Braverman-Graham is married to the sexiest stay at home dad ever, Sam Jaeger as Joel. She's a high powered attorney who juggles her time between work and her bossy, too big for her britches seven year old daughter, Sydney.

Crosby Braverman was the care free bachelor until a fling from five years ago shows up with a son. Joy Bryant plays Jasmine, a professional dancer. Oh and she's black which was a bit of a surprise to the old folks when they realized they had a half black grandson named Jabbar. Crosby and Jasmine are making a go of it, but we'll see how that works out.

One big family makes for lots of drama.....and some comedy too. What's great about this show, is that almost everyone can find a character to relate to. It's got a beautiful visual style and heartfelt writing. They've also got great reoccurring characters played by actors like Jason Ritter *swoon* and Minka Kelly. I even like the opening titles. The Bob Dylan version of "Forever Young" plays as we see actual childhood pictures of the actors. If NBC even thinks about canceling this show, they're crazy. My advice, if they have any worries about ratings is to move it to the 9pm timeslot. It currently airs on Tuesdays at 10pm. The old people that would like this show and always complain that there's nothing good on TV, don't stay up that late. My grandma would love this show, but she's in bed by then and wouldn't know how to work a DVR if she had one.

Sooooo......if you're looking for a wholesome (and I don't mean that in a corny way) show, check it out. You can find the first season on DVD and catch the second season so far on Hulu.com. Did I forget to mention that Coach (Craig T. Nelson) is Zeek? LOVE IT!

Tuesdays at 10pm on NBC

Stay Tuned....

No comments: