About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Sunday, April 17, 2011

"Game of Thrones" Wins Me Over


Tonight was the premiere of yet another epic period series by HBO, "Game of Thrones". If anyone's going to attempt it, it should be a channel with wads of money. So thank you HBO. I've never read the series of novels the show is based on, A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin, but I hear they are quite enthralling. There is a very large cast spanning several noble families all vying for the Iron Throne. Despite repeated googling, I figure out what time period it takes place in. My best guess is early A.D. If you know, please leave in the comments as it drives me bonkers not knowing the details.

The main family is The Stark House, led by Sean Bean as Eddard "Ned" Stark. He's got a loving wife, five children and a gorgeous, curly haired bastard son. We also meet the current King, Baratheon played by Mark Addy. I like him better in A Knight's Tale than in that horrible sitcom he did. He's married to a woman who's doing naughty things with her hot twin brother...ick while their dwarf younger bro is working his way through the local brothel. We learn that Stark's sister was once married to Baratheon and now to keep the families joined, they must form a marriage through their children. Off in another, much warmer place, we meet the pale creepy, also incestuous Targaryen siblings. They've been exiled and are forming a marriage with a barbarian king who possesses an army to get their crown back. Pepper in some loyal servants and friends and you've got the international cast of "Game of Throne".

The violence is a plenty. If you have a weak stomach, I suggest you find something else to watch on Sunday nights. Whatever time period this is, it's one where rulers dispense their own justice and those believing their mission is noble, will hack off limbs to prove it. Not only do our characters have each other to fear, but the mysterious and deadly White Walkers that lurk in the woods during snowfall.

I'm definitely interested. There's potential and the cast is great. Wasn't too happy with the opening titles though. As creative as they tried to be, I couldn't read the thin font and the names moved too quickly. High hopes are to be had for scandal, violence and political intrigue. If you're a fan of historical fiction, fantasy or ancient royalty, check it out.

Sundays at 9pm on HBO

Stay Tuned.....

No comments: