About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Sunday, April 3, 2011

It's Time to Kiss the Ring with "The Borgias"


After nearly a year of teasers, Showtime finally premiered the heir to “The Tudors”. The fifteenth century crime drama follows “The Borgias”. If you’re a fan of The Godfather saga, you might want to check it out, as this is the family Mario Puzo based the Corleones on.

Rodrigo Borgia is portrayed by Jeremy Irons who is quite intense and a little frightening as the family patriarch/nearly crowned Pope Alexander XI. Back in the day, it wasn’t unusual for the clergy to have children. Rodrigo had four. Cesare is Mr. Smarty Pants, which is why Papa wants him close as a Cardinal. Juan, although the oldest is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but does carry one as a soldier. Lucrezia is the pretty, but dim witted daughter and Gioffre, well it’s too early to tell what he is.

The first episode (can we really call it a pilot when Showtime green lights a show?) chronicles the days when Rodrigo becomes Alexander and how his sons assist in the corrupt election. It’s pretty obvious that Cesare is Michael Corleone. He does some does and covers up so bad bad things in the few months it takes his dad to become Pope. The big man isn’t so pious himself. Aside from having four children while a man of the cloth, then shunning their mother when he gets the big funny hat, he takes on a new mistress.

So what have we got? Gorgeous period costumes. Check. Lavish sets. Check. Intense actors. Check. Storylines of nepotism, adultery, simony, murder, betrayal, and yes some incest. Check. The question is whether or not it will turn into something we actually want to watch. For me, it’s yet to be decided. I get the feeling that we could have a “Mad Men” /“The Tudors” situation on our hands. It all looks good, but feels so slow. In the end, the story is great, but I watch the clock getting there. Unfortunately, there aren’t quite as many beautiful, young people as King Henry’s court had. Jeremy Irons is terrific, but Jonathan Rhys Meyers’ body, he has not. I didn’t like Cesare at the beginning, but I have to say that by the end, he’d grown on me, except for the whole incest thing. That creeps me out. Anyway…..I’ll give it a few episodes.

Stay Tuned…..

Sundays at 9pm on Showtime


P.S. What are your favorite period shows?

No comments: