About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Monday, June 13, 2011

The Protector? I'll be the Judge of That

Ally Walker returns to a starring role in the newest Lifetime original series "The Protector". Walker plays Gloria Shepphard, an LAPD detective/single mom. Yes, yet another cop show based in LA. Apparently there is more crime in Los Angeles than anywhere else in the world according to television. Walker is no stranger to playing cops. Most recently she donned a badge as ATF Agent June Stahl on "Sons of Anarchy". This role is a bit softer and sympathetic.

Gloria and her two sons recently moved in with her recovering addict baby brother, Davey. I'm not sure of his profession, but the house is way too nice for a cop's salary in LA. In her sons' eyes, she's superwoman, spending all night solving a case and/or sewing costumes for the school play. It's a little too much if you ask me. Mama's gotta sleep some time.

When she's pounding the pavement as a homicide detective, Shepphard is accompanied by partner Michelle Dulcett played by Tisha Campbell-Martin. Two women? That could be a volatile partnership. It has it's advantages I'm sure, but come on....that could get messy. Shepphard and Dulcett report to Lieutenant Felix Valdez, another procedural veteran - Miguel Ferrer. So far, he seems to be the same character as in "Crossing Jordan". Not good.

In the pilot episode our duo is investigating the murder of an adulterous businessman. Big surprise, one of the mistresses did it. I tend to like the more gritty cop shows, but if you're in the mood for a lighter procedural and don't have anything else to watch on Sunday nights, give it a try. For me, this one's not DVR worthy yet. I'll give it one more week though since I saw "The Shield" alumna Kenny Johnson aka Lem aka the husband in my dreams in the previews. I tried to watch "Saving Grace" for him, but that one didn't work out either. I love strong women leads, especially in male dominant roles, but I haven't found a woman cop show that I really like. Maybe some day. I can dream can't I?

Sundays at 10pm on Lifetime

No comments: