About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Monday, June 20, 2011

"Falling Skies" Drops Right Into My Sunday Night Schedule


I suppose you could say that I've grown into a bit of a scifi geek. I like enough to want to go to ComicCon. Maybe next year. Anyway, Sunday night was the two hour premiere of TNT's much anticipated "Falling Skies" starring Noah Wylie. The series was created by Robert Rodat, screenwriter of the The Patriot and Saving Private Ryan. This seems to be his first foray into scifi.

They were off to a good start in my book by giving the back story through a child's perspective. Yes, even in a post apocalyptic world, we need art therapy. Alien space ships started docking over major cities (kinda like District 9). They began killing adults and capturing children. Now the resistance battles for survival. Noah Wylie is Tom Mason, a history professor turned commando, fighting to keep his children safe. Mason uses his knowledge of military history to strategize and educate his fellow rebels. His wife was killed soon after the arrival. There are three Mason sons, Hal, Ben and Matt. Ben has been captured and fitted with what the survivors call a harness. It's a bio-mechanical contraption connected on the back. The alien intruders' ultimate plan is unknown. There are two types of invaders. The first are called Skitters. They are spider like creatures that are very agile and seem to be partly organic. The second are referred to as Mechs. These are reminiscent of old school Cylons. They are totally metallic and shoot bullets.

Director Carl Franklin sets a great tone in the pilot. It's a combination of the dramatic, foreboding music and dark, sometimes guerilla like cinematography. Being a Dreamworks production, the special effects are stellar.

When it comes down to it, like all great science fiction, it's about the people. It's about families being torn apart and kids making birthday wishes that they could go back to school. There's a moment when Matt, the youngest gets a toy for his birthday. The entire camp watches as he rides this skateboardy thing around and for a moment they all forget that they are about to march off to war.

In my opinion, Wylie was a great casting choice. He's so likeable, believable as an academic and pretty attractive with that scruff and dirty war clothes.Sorta what I picture a young Robert Langdon to look like before they cast Tom Hanks in The Da Vinci Code. Tom is a good man and an inevitable hero. Moon Bloodgood (Terminator Salvation) is Dr. Anne Glass, former pediatrician, current trench medic. Veteran action actor Will Patton is Captain Weaver, a military man who believes civilians are just a liability. Hard to keep the human race going with a leader like that. In addition to combating the invading aliens, 2nd Mass (our group of good guys) has to deal with a troop of bandits led by ex-con John Pope taking hostages. It'll be interesting to watch as the remaining population struggles to keep their humanity in the face of such adversity. So far, I like it. I'll definitely be giving this one a shot. TNT has been making a big push for it, so I have a feeling it will be a huge hit or a horrible flop. My bet is the former, but I'm not a betting woman, so please don't hold me to that.

http://www.tnt.tv/series/fallingskies/

Stay Tuned.....

Sundays at 10pm on TNT

No comments: