About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Texas Forever


For most of us, last night was the series finale of "Friday Night Lights". Boy was it a tear-jerker (I'm a big softy). I only began watching last summer on Netflix streaming. Despite my disinterest in football, was quickly hooked. It struck me how much this was a family show, not a teen show. More than football, it was about the relationships in this small town revolving around a game.

The real showcase of the series was the marriage of Coach Eric and Tami Taylor. In my eyes, they have the perfect marriage. The Taylors have their ups and downs, but in the end, it's how they deal. They listen and compromise. I know it's a TV marriage, but I hope someday I can have something like that. They are an inspiring couple.

Creator Peter Berg brought it all back around with the return of Matt Saracen, Tim Riggins, Landy Clarke and Tyra Collette. It was comforting to see familiar faces. Honestly, I haven't been a fan of the last two seasons. I like our original crew of Panthers. The new kids just didn't grab me. Yes, the Taylors are the heart of the show, but the Riggins, the Saracens, Tyra, Landry and yes the Garritys are all extended family.

For a show about football, there was less than five of the ninety minute final spent on the field. Instead we were given the farewell we all wanted. It wasn't a surprise that this show would be wrapped up with a bow, but it was very satisfying. Matt and Julie getting engaged. Tim building a house and planting roots in the place he's loved so much. Eric and Tami moving to Philadelphia because it's her turn. Sometimes on TV (not usually on the shows I watch) it all works out how it should.

It was reported yesterday, before the airing of the finale (for all of those without DirecTV) that Peter Berg is attempting to put together a second movie starring the core cast of the television series. It will pick up where the series left off. Not so sure how interested I am in seeing that at this point. Maybe they should let a good thing lie. It's a fine line when you start to have a revolving cast. One I feel they've already crossed. But I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Before all this, Friday Night Lights was a book by H.G. Bissinger which Berg turned into a movie starring Billy Bob Thornton as Coach. After the success of the film, it was developed for television. I guess it's paid off. Throughout their five season run, FNL has been nominated for over a dozen Emmy awards including four for their farewell season. Kyle Chandler for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series. Connie Britton for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series. Jason Katims for Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series. And for the first time, Outstanding Drama Series.

I think we'll all miss visiting Dillon, Texas. Could never live there, but I'll miss it. This show was true. It was heartfelt and it was relatable. The standard has been set for great family drama. Let's hope the rest keep up.

If you've missed a single game, you can catch up with the first four seasons on Netflix streaming. Unfortunately NBC OnDemand and NBC.com only has the last five episodes.

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.

No comments: