About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Monday, September 5, 2011

The Summer of Spectacular New Series

It feels like more summer series premiered in 2011 than ever before. And boy did they deliver. As the summer comes to a close, I felt the need to reflect on my favorites and express my excitement for their imminent return. In no particular order (for the most part) here's what I've been watching for the past three months.



"SUITS" - If you follow me (@TVMaven) on Twitter, you already know how freaking cool I think this show is. I'm mean SERIOUSLY! Harvey Specter is the epitome of cool as is this show. The gorgeous shots of New York and the fantastic costuming only enhance the great story of a hot shot lawyer taking a genius (minus a law degree) under his wing. Gabriel Macht and Patrick Adams are superbly supported by Rick Hoffman and Gina Torres, two of my favorite character actors. I'm extremely excited for the season finally this Thursday night. If you missed season 1, better catch up before next summer when they return with 16 all new episodes (4 more!).



"AWKWARD" - For me, "Awkward" was the surprise of the summer. I never thought I'd be watching MTV again, but this little series about a girl (with my name) suffering through high school with a heroic sense of humor has me coming back week after week. Of course the writing is way more sophisticated than actual high schoolers, but not in that melodramatic "Dawson's Creek" kind of way....in an awesomely funny way. I'd never condone actual teenagers watching it. So if you're of age, check it out. We've still got a couple weeks left to go before school's out in Palos Verdes. They've already been picked up for Season 2, which we can expect in 2012. Go Jenna!



"WILFRED" - If "Awkward" was a surprise, "Wilfred" was a bombshell. After months of seeing promos, I became used to the idea of a man in a dog suit that everyone else saw as a dog, but I had no idea it would be so filthy. I'm pretty sure every episode was rated MA LS (mature audience, containing language and sex) some needed a V for violence and if there was a D for drugs, slap that onto every intro. This may turn some people off, but I thoroughly enjoyed being shocked week after week. Can't wait for more in Season 2 next summer.



"FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER" - There was no question I would love this British series being created by an "Inbetweeners" alum and starring Simon Bird, Tamsin Greig and Mark Heap. This dysfunctional, yet hilariously close family always seems to find trouble during their weekly dinners. Having this show air over the summer definitely took the sting off of the "Inbetweeners" ending, but now what will fill its void after next Saturday's finale? Counting down to series (season for you non BBC watchers) 2.



"SWITCHED AT BIRTH" - I love this show! So many questions. It really makes you think about what you would do in their situation(s). It's very complicated and there are always new things coming to light in addition to these two girls just trying to make their way through high school. After it's breakout success, ABC Family added twelve more eps (for a total of 22) to season 2 which will begin airing in January 2012. So it won't continue to be a summer series, but it definitely brightened this year up.



"FRANKLIN & BASH" - Who doesn't want to see Zack Morris all buff and in a suit? I sure do and that's just one reason why I heart this new lawyer-y comedy series from TNT. Breckin Meyer is definitely another. The chemistry between these two characters and the actors is hilariously entertaining to watch. Rounding out my top three reasons to watch F&B is Pindi, their agorophohic, Indian researcher that lives in the man cave along with the legal duo. This guy's got me in stitches every week, just wish there was more of him. Check out the first season so that you're good to go next summer as TNT has already renewed them for a second go around.



"FALLING SKIES" - No other show had me more excited week after week than TNT's newest sci-fi drama, which is why I couldn't just sit in front of the TV. I had to attend the Paley Center panel so that I could hear straight from the creators where the show was going. There is so much drama in the form of aliens headed our way next summer. If I recall correctly, TNT renewed the series after only two weeks (or so). Pretty frakkin' impressive for a sci-fi show. Leading the charge in season one was Noah Wylie, but who knows what season two will hold for him after boarding the uber scary alien spaceship. This show is about character and survival at the core. Even if you aren't a sci-fi geek, give it a try. The action and adventure is interwoven with scenes of heartfelt connection. Relatable to any audience. Watch it! Love it!


So, the bar has been set pretty high. My hope is that 2012 will not only deliver terrific second seasons of these shows, but a few more great series. Premieres aren't just for the fall anymore.

No comments: