About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Random Musings of a TV Addict

The older I get, the more I procrastinate. I guess to get myself back in the swing of writing, I'm just going to put down some random thoughts about television in the new year.

"House" is coming to an end after eight seasons. It's the only show that I can remember hitting it's prime in season 6. I'm a little behind due to Monday night traffic on my DVR, but I hear last week's ep was one of the series' best. As of right now, my opinion is that the season 6 premiere where House is in the mental hospital is the best episode of the entire series. How often can you say that? With the departure of key cast members, it feels right that it ends. Just hope they make it satisfying. 

Idris Elba wins the Golden Globe! These two seasons of "Luther" have been some of the best hours television ever. No, I'm not exaggerating. If you haven't seen Elba's performance, find a ruler or stick like object and smack your hand. You deserved that.

I wasn't sure about "New Girl"after watching the pilot, last fall. It was funny, but there was too much quirk. The writers have since toned it down and focused on the interaction of these four Los Angeles roommates. Result - once a week (when there aren't reruns) I nearly pee my pants and/or hyperventilate from laughing so hard. If you are 17ish - 35 I highly recommend it. It's a bit too hip and young for the old folks.

"Justified" is back. Once again, I hope this will be the year that Walton Goggins is recognized for his amazing talent. Figured it would be hard to top last year's banner season with Margo Martindale but season 3 is well on it's way. One thing I can count on besides great guest stars like Neil McDonough, Jere Burns, Todd Stashwick, and James Le Gros is that I will always be surprised.

"NCIS" just celebrated 200 episodes. Quite a feat. I've been asked by non watchers how the hell a run of the mill procedural has stayed on the air so long. My answer - the wonderfully dysfunctional family dynamic unlike any other on television. No one watches "NCIS" for the weekly case, it's the characters and their interaction. Oh, and Mark Harmon's hair.

"The Fades" airing on BBC America's Supernatural Saturdays is my new favorite other worldly series. They've got a new take on ghosts - body regeneration. With a complex mythology unlike any I've come across before "The Fades" has me hooked. Only problem is that there are only six eps in the first season and it's uncertain whether there will be a second. Think "Skins" meets "Supernatural".


MTV is back on my radar (for the first time since I was 14). I raved about "Awkward" last summer and now another dirty scripted comedy has caught my eye. Based on the novel of the same name "I Just Want My Pants Back" follows a group of twentysomethings in NYC being very naughty and looking for something more. I'm not sure raunchy is the best descriptor, but MTV sure doesn't pull any punches on this one. Only seen the first 2 eps, but I'll be back for more.

The other reason I haven't been blogging lately is because I joined Twitter a few months back. It's so much easier to tweet random thoughts than to wait until I've got enough to say to fill a blog post. If you're already on there, follow me @TVMaven and if you aren't but love television as much as I do, join. It's so great to follow my favorite show runners, actors and other bloggers. I find articles, interviews and a ton of other random links that I wouldn't have on my own. This is a great age for fans. Take advantage.

No comments: