About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Jenna and I'm addicted to great television. I'm on a mission to share with you what I think are the best of the best when it comes to shows and mini-series. Long format visual storytelling is my entertainment of choice. I've got a lot to say, so stay tuned..... P.S. I am under some sort of invisible legal obligation to state that I do not own any of the photos posted herein unless otherwise specified and if you see any of your images and would like me to credit you or take it down (‘cus you’re just a meanie), please contact me

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Initial Impressions - New Fall Dramas

I'm no expert, I just know what I like. Take it or leave it. 


"666 Park Avenue" - ABC is now full on in the supernatural genre. It's a little soapy. It's a little thriller. It's a little devil at the crossroads. The biggest draw for me was Terry O'Quinn. His guest spots on "Hawaii Five-0" haven't satisfied my withdrawal from "Lost" and John Locke. Glad to see him in a killer role he can sink his teeth into. In my opinion, O'Quinn always raises the bar. Hope everyone else can meet him there. That being said, still not sure about this one yet. Obviously I've got a crush on Terry and Dave Annable's not too shabby, but I haven't decided on the female lead yet. Not loving her. There's a fine line with shows like this. They can be either really engaging or over the top. Please refer to "Supernatural" as an example of the former. ABC - Sundays at 10/9c

"Elementary" - I almost didn't give it a try. Masterpiece's "Sherlock" is an all-time favorite. How could I possibly love anyone else as much as Benedict Cumberbatch in this legendary role (even though I heart Jonny Lee Miller)? And Watson as a woman? I consider myself a bit of a feminist, but when they cast Lucy Liu, I was a bit put off. Never been a huge fan. Guess what. It works. I actually enjoyed the first episode. Sherlock is a tattoo covered addict living off of Daddy's money and Watson is his sober companion. Decent way to update the story. I guess it's the character that's hooked me. It's definitely got potential and I think it'll fit in on The Eye. Are you Sherlocked?
CBS - Thursdays at 10/9c

"Last Resort" - Shawn Ryan has won my heart back. Haven't been a fan of his shows since "The Shield" but I have very high hopes for this one. Even though it's no where near the same genre, I had that Lost feeling. Maybe it was the tropical setting or maybe.... just maybe, ABC's got something golden here.  I love shows that really make you think about morality and ethics. Shows like this ask the questions that hopefully we'd never have to answer in our own lives, but it's eye opening to discuss (in a safe place, like crowded around the water cooler). In the opening ep, a submarine crew must decide whether or not to follow orders to fire a nuclear missile. Andre Braugher is perfectly cast as leader, giving a very powerful performance. Slightly reminiscent of President Palmer. Two thumbs way up.  ABC - Thursdays at 8/7c

"Revolution" - Survival stories make great drama. Whether there is a worldwide black out, a plague, or zombies, it's fascinating to watch what people will do to stay alive. I'm crossing my fingers on this one. I love nearly everything J.J. Abrams touches and Eric Kripke is the creator of "Supernatural" which if you couldn't tell, I'm a giant fan of. Unfortunately, recent Emmy winner Giancarlo Esposito is the only cast member I like....and he's the bad guy! I'll keep trying, but this one might have to up the ante to win me over.
NBC - Mondays at 10/9c

 "Vegas" - Michael Chiklis! Michael Chiklis! Michael Chiklis! Ok, I got that out of my system. Soooo Michael Chiklis is in this show. So is Dennis Quaid. Baby Vegas is the backdrop for this true story of lawman vs. mobster. I'm not sure yet. Obviously I want to like this show, but it's very CBS at least as of the first episode. Seems like my mom would like it, which means it's got a G rating compared to the television I usually watch. There's definitely potential. The early days of Sin City could provide some very seedy storylines if CBS is willing to go there. My general feeling is that they tend to hold back. To not offend their core demographic. I can imagine what HBO or even FX would do with this story. It's oooozing drama. I may not be your core demographic, CBS, but please offend me. CBS - Tuesdays at 10/9c

I'm a gritty drama fan. More "Sons of Anarchy" than "Law & Order". The majority of the television I watch is on cable and premium channels, but these could be some good network additions. What do you think? Early favorites?







1 comment:

Jimmy Mackey said...

Well, network TV is nothing like HBO and Showtime, but it seems to me they are going for the best of CSI and Boardwalk Empire in a “G” rated package, as you said. That’s not so bad if they make it gritty enough, and Sheriff Lamb is definitely angry enough, but I’m still watching to see if the high profile writers, director and actors deliver. My DISH coworker says it’s getting decent ratings too, which I figure should guarantee even more success and money to keep it a class act show. I found out about it when my Hopper PrimeTime Anytime feature I enabled, automatically recorded it. I like the fact that I find lots of new shows to watch, since every major network show records each day.